Friday, January 2, 2009

Antisocial Media

Yes, I have a blog, which you're reading. I have Twitter. I have MySpace and Facebook. That's a lot for someone who is essentially antisocial. Oh, I get together with people sometimes and talk and laugh and even enjoy myself, but even then, I let others do most of the talking and I observe. That's just me.

So what am I doing with all of these social media accounts? To be honest, I don't know. It started a couple of years ago with a blog. I posted to it every so often for my own enjoyment, mostly thoughts on politics and such. Of course, the only person who read it was my wife, and she knows my politics (and fortunately agrees with them).

Then I started a blog just for my music, thinking I'd use it as a sort of practice log. Of course, that didn't work out the way I'd planned because, as I learned a long time ago, just because it's on a computer that doesn't mean you'll do it.

I created a MySpace page so that I could post some music. I did manage to find a few old friends through it, so it wasn't a total bust. But I've never used it the way most people do, for networking. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've commented on someone else's page.

I'm not sure when/why I logged onto Facebook. I had the account for a year before I even did anything with it. I just never understood it. I still don't really. I've managed to find a couple more old friends through it, and I occasionally update my status and even have my blog forwarding to it, but I just don't understand how to use it.

And then there's Twitter. I update it occasionally as well, but wonder if anyone really cares that I ran out of milk and had to use reconstituted dry milk on my breakfast cereal.

I've read articles on using social media for gaining a larger audience, and I suppose if I had something to give or sell, that might make sense. But even then, that's just not me. I rarely talk to strangers and I don't know how to make small talk. I deleted my old blog out of frustration and created a new one 6 months later, but still rarely write anything significant (including this piece).

I'm often jealous of those who are social, who have a lot of followers on Twitter, who get a lot of comments on their blogs. But in the end, I just don't have what it takes to build a following, and don't really care to do the leg work (finger work?) to learn. Instead, I just log in to see what everyone else has to say, observe the interactions of those virtually around me, and then make use of the greatest antisocial media of all, the off button.

5 comments:

mommakin said...

Well, a lot of it is very frivolous and you are not a frivolous guy. I've watched you make the few comments that you do make and it looks like hard work - I wouldn't do it often, either! You think and sometimes even research before leaving a comment. I sit down, like I'm doing right now, and write off the cuff. As a result, what I end up saying is far less eloquent than what you end up saying (when you decide to say something, that is). So it's a trade-off, I guess. Like everything is.

People listen to your music on MySpace, I think. Maybe they don't comment much. But you can track plays and you definitely get some hits. It's a start...

I get FB - it appeals to me a lot.

I think I do Twitter wrong. :-) At least from the POV of those who use it for networking - certainly according to those who determine the criteria for Twitter Grades and Temps and such. I still like it, though.

In most of these forums I, too, feel like I usually do in the real world. A little stupider than every one else. A little less cool. A poser in constant danger of being exposed. Homer Simpson trying to fit in with the cool kids in the van...knowing enough to hang back to minimize the danger of being found out...content to just breathe the same air as the cool kids.

I am so uncool.

But this was supposed to be about you...

Don't stop writing -I so enjoy reading the things you have to say - even if I've actually talked to you at the dinner table about the same things. You're a lovely writer.

Unknown said...

I find your writing a lot like your speaking. When you have something to say (in any manner), it's always something worthy of my attention.

In general, when someone has a lot to say, very little of it is worth hearing. (Yes, I know I'm talking about myself.) People like you value quality over quantity, and that's part of what makes you an interesting person.

mommakin said...

I married Silent Bob!

Unknown said...

tom, i've known you for a few years now, and it is true that at times you are a man of few words. as far as all that social hootenany, i could take it or leave it. i have never been the cool kid either, and have to work really hard to fake it. i am not very successful at it, which leaves me uncool and tired, and fake. crap.

truth is, i am often terrified of people and find it torture at times just responding to a comment, not to mention actual real time, live social interaction. what's the point of this rambling? i am not really sure, but you're a good fella tom, and i am sure glad to know you, and your few words.

bassislife said...

Thank you all for your comments. Now I just need to figure out who Schmuckboy is.